Who doesn’t love a Chocolate Truffle? These delicious morsels of chocolate are covered in nuts, sugars and other flavourings or dipped in Chocolate. They melt in your mouth, warm your soul and finish off a meal beautifully. Every year at this time the speciality Chocolate stores are filled with beautifully wrapped Chocolate Truffles boxes. Although they can be pretty expensive, they pretty much fly off the shelves. I’m going to make a basic Chocolate Truffle and roll it in some Cinnamon sugar to capture the flavours of the Holidays. This is so easy that you’d be tempted to make boxes of these treats for your own family and friends.
For the best truffles you must use really good quality Chocolate that has a cocoa percentage of 70% or higher I’m using a semi sweet chocolate and I need about 200 gms chopped. You can either chop this by hand or dump them in a food processor to save time. This is covered in simmering cream and melted into a ganache. What I love about Chocolate Truffles is that you can customize them anyway you like by adding flavoured liqueurs to the ganache and experimenting with different coatings. I started with Cinnamon sugar but also made some rolled in icing sugar, grated chocolate and chopped nuts. This assortment makes a beautiful gift box for the holidays.
- 200 gms dark chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsps Cinnamon Sugar
- Chop the chocolate using a knife or food processor
- Heat the cream to a simmer
- Pour over the chocolate and leave for 30 seconds before stirring
- Once the chocolate has totally melted, add the flavourings if required and pour into a tupperware container and let set in the fridge for 4 hrs
- After 4 hours use an ice cream scoop to scoop out the chocolate and drop in the sugar before rolling between your clean hands
- Coat the truffles again in the sugar