Egg Burji or simply Indian style scrambled eggs is not even something you think of as a recipe. Every household(excluding the Vegetarians of course) have their own way of making it – onions, chillies, spices, tomatoes & eggs and boom, there’s your Burji.
If you’re looking for a good hearty breakfast Egg Burji is probably one that will satisfy you. Scoop it up with some bread or roti and you/re energized for hours! In Bombay, known known as Mumbai, street food plays a vital role to it’s 22 billion people. One of those items on the menu is the Burji or scrambled egg. While Burji is made all over India with varied spices, this Mumbai version is made with a special blend of spices called Pav Bhaji Masala.
Follow the recipe below and make your own version of Burji for your family to enjoy. Don’t forget to check out my video. Special thanks to my brother for his voice over clips!
- 3 cups finely diced red Onions
- 1-2 tbsps sliced green Chilies
- 2 cloves of minced Garlic
- 1 tsp each of Chilli powder, Cumin powder, Coriander powder
- 1/ 2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Pav Bhaji Masala
- 3 cups chopped Tomatoes
- 6 Eggs scrambled
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 tbsps Butter
- Coriander chopped
- Heat some Oil saute the finely diced onions
- Sprinkle this with some salt and allow it to caramelize
- Add 1 – 2 tbsps sliced green Chilies
- Add 2 cloves of minced Garlic
- Add 1 tsp each of Chilli powder, Cumin powder, Coriander powder and 1/ 2 tsp Turmeric
- Add 1 tbsp Pav bhaji masala
- Mix well and add the chopped Tomatoes
- If the tomatoes are not ripe and juicy, add a bit of water or tomato puree
- Add salt & pepper to taste Mix, cover and cook
- Scramble 6 eggs and add to the masala,scrambling as the mixture hits the pan.
- Optional, add 1-2 tbsps of butter
- Garnish with fresh chopped Coriander and serve!