I am so excited to bring you this recipe today. Pahadi kebabs are delicious nuggets of chicken marinated in mint, coriander, garlic and ginger and tenderized with hung yogurt.
This is skewered and barbecued to delicious perfection. I first tried this in India when my dad ordered some Indian takeout from a local kebab place and I was hooked. As soon as I got back I had to try to recreate it and I’m happy to report that I got it all figured out. Although this kebab looks very similar to a hare kebab or a hariyali kebab, it does have a distinct taste that sets it apart.
I’m using hung yogurt in this recipe, this just means that I’m going to remove all the water from the yogurt by placing a 1/4 cup in some cheese cloth and squeezing it.
I’m also using fresh mint which at this time of the year my garden is just bursting with the delicious herb. Let’s look at the ingredients
- 2 oz each fresh Mint and Coriander
- 1/2 cup yogurt, hung in a cheesecloth
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 3 tbsps chopped Ginger
- 3 fresh green chillies
- Juice of one Lime
- 2 lbs boneless Chicken cubes
- Set the yogurt in some cheesecloth and squeeze all the water out of it
- Grind together the Lime juice, Ginger, Garlic and Chillies, Salt & Pepper
- Add the green paste to the washed and cleaned Chicken
- Add the yogurt, mix and leave to marinate overnight
- Before skewering and cooking on the grill add some oil and more salt to taste
- After the Pahadi kebabs are cooked, sprinkle with some Garam Masala and serve