I was introduced to Couscous many years ago and love the ease of it’s preparation.Couscous are granules of durum wheat. It comes in various sizes and is popular in North Africa and the Middle East. It is cooked by soaking in hot water to rehydrate. This recipe is a spiced and flavorful version with paprika, cumin, tomato paste, sumac, pomegranate molasses and fresh parsley and mint and cucumber and tomatoes and red peppers. It is finished with crumbled feta cheese.
In the summertime, we host a lot of BBQ’s and impromptu get togethers and I always lean towards this recipe to serve with my latest recipe off the grill. It screams summer and freshness!
- 2 cups medium couscous
- Coarse salt
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- Hot water
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp pomegranate molasses
- 2 tbsps finely chopped red onions
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped cucumbers
- 1 cup chopped red peppers
- 2 tbsps chopped olives
- 1/2 cup each parsley and mint
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2-3 tbsps of crumbled feta cheese
- Add salt, cumin and paprika to 2 cups of couscous in a bowl
- Adding hot water, cook the couscous - (see video)
- Leave for 10 mins covered and then fluff with a fork
- Let the couscous cool completely and then add all the other ingredients, mixing together after each addition.
- Serve cold.