Every now & then I like to spoil my kids with an over the top, cheesy and indulgent meal and Mexican is always a hot in our household. This Taco Pie is stacked taco goodness that you can slice and serve. The concept very similar to a lasagna, is layers of flavor and texture using easy to find store bought ingredients.
I’ve used whole Wheat Tortillas in this recipe but you can easily use Corn Tortillas to make this gluten free. You don’t have to use a cake pan, but I find that it really helps to ensure that the cheese does not melt right out. In this recipe I stacked three layers, but you can easily make a higher pie by just adding more layers.
You can also switch up the protein, I’ve used Chicken, but you can use Turkey, Beef or just make it Vegetarian. I like to serve this with a fresh Pico de Gallo.
- 3 Tortillas
- 1 lb(2) Chicken breasts
- 2 tsps Taco seasoning
- 9 tbsps or more Salsa
- 300 gms grated Cheese (Mozza Cheddar)
- Jalapenos to taste
- 6 tbsps Corn & Bean Salad
- Chopped Coriander
- Remove the Chicken tenders and butterfly the Chicken breast
- Place between a sheet of parchment and use a meat mallet or a rolling pin to flatten
- Add the Taco seasoning and rub into the Chicken
- Saute in a frying pan till cooked and leave aside
- Slice when cool
- Prepare a cake pan with parchment paper for easy removal and clean up
- Place a Tortilla at the bottom, followed by 3 tbsps of Salsa, 1/3 of the Chicken breast, 2 tbsps of Cor & Bean salad, Jalapenos to taste and about 100 gms of Cheese
- Repeat this two more times and add some chopped Coriander or Cilantro in the final layer
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes
- Garnish with more Coriander and serve
- Slice & enjoy!