Sheera or Sheero is a very simple Semolina dessert made by cooking it in Ghee, Milk and sugar. It’s also known as Sooji Halwa. You can also make this vegan by using a vegetable based Ghee and a Milk substitute.
You can make this Sheera quite plain or as in this recipe enhance it with Mango puree and make it rich and delicious.
Sauteing the Nuts and Raisins in Ghee, give this Sheera an incredible flavor and texture!
- 1 cup Ghee
- 1/2 cup mixed Nuts & Raisins
- 1 cup Semolina
- Pinch crushed Cardamom
- Pinch Saffron strands
- 2 cups Mango puree
- 2 cups Milk
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- Crushed Pistachios for garnish
- Fresh Mango cubes for garnish
- Heat the ghee and saute the nuts and raisins and keep them aside
- In the ghee add the semolina, add the crushed cardamom and saffron strands
- Add the mango puree and milk
- Cook for 5 – 10 mins
- Add the sugar and cook for another 2 – 3 mins
- Add the nuts and raisins back in reserving a few for garnish
- Sprinkle the crushed pistachios in a cake tin and add the semolina and allow to cool before you turn it out and serve
- Garnish with the reserved nuts and mango cubes