This summer I wanted to try more recipes that the jam I make every season with my crop of blackcurrants. I toyed with the idea of making a liqueur that would mature naturally and it’s a perfect blend for the holiday season.
Fresh Blackcurrants are infused in sugar, vodka, white peppercorns and cinnamon and stored for months before ready to cheer at Christmas. Next year I will be batching up for sure.
I love that this is recipe is so easy to make and you could also use it to flavor cakes and puddings.
Christmas Blackcurrant Cinnamon Liqueur
- 2 cups Blackcurrants washed and drained
- 1 cup Sugar
- 10 white Peppercorns
- 2, 2 inch sticks Cinnamon
- 3 cups Vodka
- Add the Blackcurrants to a jar and cover with the sugar, peppercorns, cinnamon sticks and vodka
- Put a lid on and store this is a cool dark place for 1 month and give this a gentle shake
- After a month strain everything and discard the fruit, peppercorns and cinnamon
- Store in a cool dry place for another 3 – 5 months for the flavour to intensify