I started making m own spice powder blends after my sister-in-law with Celiac disease got sick when a prepackaged spice was used. Turns out some brands add flour to the mix to increase the weight. When you blend you’re own spices, you’re in complete control of the intense flavors and there is no beating a fresh blend over a packaged mix that has since lost it’s aroma.
- 16 Black cardamoms
- 4 tsp shahi or black cumin seeds
- 4 tsp cumin seeds
- 20 cinnamon sticks (small inch)
- 32 cloves
- 8 pieces mace or Javatri (this is the outer covering of mace)
- 8 star anise
- 8 tsps coriander seeds
- 4 tsp peppercorns
- 4 tsp fenugreek leaves or kasuri methi
- 4 tsp dried pomegranate seeds or anardhana
- 4 tsp turmeric or haldi
- 4 tsp red chili powder
- 16 prunes - slice these
- Grind this all except the prunes, turmeric and chilli powder together to a fine powder.
- Add the prunes, turmeric and chilli powder and store in an air tight bottle.