The very first time I tried Creme Brulee at a friends engagement, I was blown away. The cracked sugar and creamy cold custard left a lasting impression on my mind. Over the years, when given a chance, I would always order this heavenly dessert. I finally got around to trying and perfecting it for myself!
- 4 egg yolks + 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 cups heavy or whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp brown sugar + 1 tsp white sugar
- You will also need an oven proof dish, boiling water, strainer, glass ramekins or canning jars and a kitchen safe blow torch.
- Beat the eggs with the sugar
- In a saucepan bring the cream and the vanilla to a gentle simmer
- Temper the eggs by pouring the hot cream in a little at a time till well incorporated
- Strain the mixture and pour into ramekins
- If you notice bubbles or froth at the top, blast away with a blow torch
- Place the ramekins into an oven proof dish and fill the container half way up the ramekins with boiling water
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 - 30 mins till the custard is set and slightly jiggly
- Cool, cover and refrigerate for 24 hours
- After 24 hours, and just before serving, mix the sugars together and spoon a tsp into each ramekin, shaking off the excess.
- Using your blow torch caramelize the sugar evenly leaving a nice hard layer of sugar to crack into.