I’ve made Kheema so many different ways and it’s only last year that I made Xanti Pinto’s Goan Kheema. I’ve heard Xanti(pronounced Shanti) and a few others RAVE about Alves Fernandes’s recipe on the facebook group – Traditional Goan Foodies. Now, I know that Alves is an amazing cook and his blog is top notch, but I wondered why everyone was raving about this kheems so I decided to try this for myself! They weren’t lying … this recipe is stellar. There are a few steps to making this recipe, but it truly is worth the effort.
I call this Goan Masala Kheema as the ground beef is slathered and simmered in a delicious Goan masala blend.
I’ve adapted the recipe to make it easier to prepare, I hope you enjoy it! Thanks Alves for publishing such great recipes! Please check out his amazing blog right here!
- 2 lbs regular ground Beef
- 1.5 tbsps each of Ginger and Garlic paste
- Juice of 2 Limes
- 10 Kashmiri Chillies
- 2 inch stick of cinnamon
- 4 cardamons
- 2 tsps Cumin
- 2 tsps white poppy seeds or khus khus
- 1 tsp cloves (30)
- 1.5 tsps of Black Peppercorns (60)
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 cup of roughly chopped Garlic (12 cloves)
- ½ cup of roughly chopped Ginger (2 inch piece)
- 1 cup of Goa Vinegar
- 1 stock cube
- 2 horizontally slit green chillies
- 2 cups diced Onions
- 1 cup cubed Potatoes
- Marinate the ground beef with salt, the juice of a lime and the ginger & garlic paste
- Add the chillies, Cinnamon, cardamom, Cumin, Poppy seeds, cloves, black peppercorns, turmeric and process, followed by the Garlic, Ginger and half the vinegar
- Boil the ground beef with one cup of water and cook till 75% done
- If there’s any meat scum that floats to the top, just remove it – after it’s about 75% cooked just remove it from the heat
- Add Salt to taste
- Add some oil to another pan and just fry the cubed potatoes till half done, remove and drain on kitchen towel
- Add the diced Onions and saute this till it gets nice and
- Add the masala back into the pan
- Add 1 cup of fresh diced tomatoes, give it a few moments to heat up and then mix everything together
- Cook the masala base for 10 – 15 mins till the tomatoes have had a chance to soften and blend in with the masala
- Add the boiled ground beef and the water back into the saute pan.
- Mix this in and allow that masala mixture to coat the ground beef.
- Add some water to my food processor and add this in as well.
- Cover and cook
- Add the stock cube and salt to taste
- Add the juice of a lime
- Add 1 cup of frozen peas,& the green chillies
- Add the half cooked potatoes in cover in and allow it to cook
- Garnish with Coriander