Lamb or Mutton is cooked together with spices in a pressure cooker to make a delicious gravy with tender pieces of meat and is simmered together with half cooked potatoes. This is a basic recipe that can be prepared with Lamb or Mutton and it could even apply to Goat or Beef. The chunks of meat have some bone for great flavour and simple ingredients are used to achieve this delicious curry.
I’ve used my Instant Pot in this recipe as it’s safe and easy. And Instant Pot or any other electric pressure cooker can be set to a time and you can freely walk away and are free to do other things but you can also use a regular store top pressure cooker.
To get a rich and flavorful gravy I like to use freshly ground Garam masala. Here is how to make it.
- 1 cup Potato wedges
- 2 cups sliced Onions here
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp sliced green Chillies
- 2.2 lbs – 1 kg bone in Lamb or Mutton
- 2 tbsps Ginger & Garlic paste
- 3 tsps Garam Masala
- 2 tsps Kashmiri Chilli powder
- 2 cups Water
- Salt to taste
- Garnish – fresh cracked Pepper & Coriander
- In an Instant pot on saute mode, heat some oil and cook the potato wedges till they are half done, remove and keep aside
- In the same oil add the onions and the salt
- When the onions are halfway caramelized, add the chillies
- Add the meat, the ginger and garlic paste, followed by the Garam Masala and the chilli powder
- Mix everything to coat
- Add the water, cover, cancel saute mode and set the IP to pressure cooker mode for 30 mins
- Once the timer is done allow the pressure and steam to naturally release and open the lid
- Set the IP to saute mode again, taste for salt and add salt to taste
- Now return the half cooked potatoes back to the gravy, place the lid partially over the pot and finish cooking the potatoes