Firm Tofu is stuffed with a delicious chicken mixture and then cooked on all sides, and then nestled in a fragrant gravy. I love Tofu, the fam is not a fan, so I decided to stuff it and immerse it in a very flavorful sauce before serving it. This is great as a main, but also a side. You can also customize it, make the stuffing with chicken as suggested or use beef, shrimp or veggies.
Is Tofu good for you?
Tofu is a food product made from soybeans. It is a popular ingredient in vegetarian and vegan diets due to its high protein content and versatility in various dishes. Tofu is made by curdling soy milk and then pressing the resulting curds into blocks.
There are different types of tofu available, including silken tofu, soft tofu, firm tofu, and extra-firm tofu. Silken tofu has a delicate texture and is often used in smoothies, dressings, and desserts. Soft tofu has a slightly firmer texture and is commonly used in soups and stews. Firm and extra-firm tofu have a dense texture and hold their shape well, making them suitable for stir-frying, grilling, or baking.
Tofu is known for its ability to absorb flavors and is often marinated or seasoned before cooking. It can be used as a substitute for meat in many recipes, providing a good source of plant-based protein. Tofu is also a rich source of essential amino acids, iron, calcium, and other nutrients.
In terms of health benefits, tofu is low in calories and contains no cholesterol. It is a good source of protein, making it beneficial for muscle growth and repair. Tofu is also a source of isoflavones, which are plant compounds that have been associated with potential health benefits such as reduced risk of heart disease and certain types of cancer.
Overall, tofu is a versatile and nutritious food that can be incorporated into a variety of dishes to suit different dietary preferences and needs.
- 454 gms firm extra firm Tofu
- 400 gms ground Chicken
- 1 tbsp light Soya sauce
- 1 tsp black Pepper
- 1 tbsp minced green Chilli
- 1 tbsp minced Garlic
- 1/2 cup sliced Spring Onions
- 1/2 cup diced Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Shallots
- 1/4 cup sliced Spring Onion
- 1/4 cup Cauliflower florets
- 1 cup Enoki Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp dark Soya sauce
- 2 tbsps Water
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Ketchup
- Spring Onion leaves for garnish
- Place a weight on the Tofu to remove any excess water
- Cut the Tofu into cubes
- Scoop some of the Tofu out in the centre of each cube
- Prepare the filling by mixing together the minced Chicken with the Soya sauce, Pepper, Chilli, Garlic, Spring Onions & diced Mushrooms
- Mix this well together
- Spoon and press this filling into the cavity of the Tofu
- Cook this in oil in a shallow pan till it’s browned all over, ensuring that the filling is cooked
- To prepare the gravy, heat some oil and saute the Shallots and Spring Onions
- Follow with the Cauliflower florets, Enoki Mushrooms, Oyster sauce and Soya sauce
- Add Water as needed
- Finish off with the Vinegar & Ketchup
- Nestle the Tofu into the gravy and garnish with Spring Onion leaves