To celebrate our 8th year on YouTube, I decided to make a Tutti Frutti cake. The pandemic had other plans, no Tutti Frutti in stock. I wasn’t about to give up, when you have to have Tutti Frutti cake, you HAVE to have Tutti Frutti cake! I looked up how to make it myself. I couldn’t find raw papaya and watermelon is not in season so I decided to make this with a firm melon. The process to make it is super easy, but it does need days to air dry.
Tutti Frutti cake is a simple eggless cake, made super special with the addition of ‘Tutti Frutti’ or candied pieces of melon.
Kravings Food Adventures is a labour of love, I started this off as a simple blog and decided to make videos 8 years ago. You can now find my content and great recipes, here on this site, on youtube, facebook, instagram, pinterest and tiktok.
This is an eggless recipe, it is not dairy free, however you can make this dairy free by using coconut cream instead of yogurt and omitting the chocolate topping.
- 1 cup diced firm Melon Watermelon rind or raw Papaya
- 1 tbsp chopped Ginger
- 1 tbsp chopped Orange rind
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 1 – 2 drops or food colouring – red green and yellow
- 1.5 cups all purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 3/4 cup Yogurt
- 1/2 cup Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla bean paste or essence
- 1 tsp Orange essence
- Melted White Chocolate
- More Tutti Frutti to decorate
- To make the Tutti Frutti first boil everything in water for about 5 mins
- Once done, drain out the extra water
- Add the Sugar and Water and allow this to boil for a few minutes
- Add the fruit back in and cook this till the melon becomes translucent … this will take 10 – 15 mins
- Please note that if using watermelon rind or raw papaya is used you can boil a bit longer
- Strain this and divide into 3 jars
- Using food colouring, add a drop or so in each jar and love for 30 mins
- Strain any remaining sugar syrup out AND leave it on some mesh to dry for 24 – 36 hrs
- Once dry, they can be stored in an air tight jar
- To make the cake batter first beat the sugar and yogurt together
- Sift the flour, baking powder and soda together and then fold it into the wet ingredients
- Add the electric beater if necessary but don’t over beat
- Add the Orange rind and the Tutti Frutti
- Fold and pour into a buttered pan which has a strip of parchment at the bottom
- Fill the pan and add to a preheated oven and cook for about 40 mins
- Once cooked, allow the cake to completely cool.
- Run a knife around the sides and turn over
- Remove the parchment paper
- This is optional – dress it up with some melted white chocolate and some more Tutti Frutti