I don’t have a huge sweet tooth, but can never turn down Marzipan, especially my homemade recipe make with ground Cashew nuts, Icing sugar and egg white. Typically Marzipan is made with powdered blanched, skinned and dried almonds, but if I can splurge, I try to buy Cashew nuts and powder that instead for a beautiful taste. Traditionally, Marzipan is made by cooking all the ingredients over a low flame. It requires your undivided attention and a lot of muscle power. A decade or so ago I figured out a way to make this relatively easily in the microwave, and this is the recipe I will share with you!
Besides stuffing Chocolates and covering cakes, I use Marzipan to make Easter Eggs and small molded candies at Christmas. Makes me happy 🙂
- 100 gms(3.5 oz) broken cashews OR almond powder/bits
- 200 gms (7 oz) icing sugar
- 1 egg white
- 2 drops almond essence
- Pulse the cashew nuts
- Add a bit of icing sugar and pulse again. The icing sugar will absorb the oil and make the cashews grind finer
- Add everything to your mixing bowl and add one egg white in drips till incorporated
- Add a few drops of almond essence.
- Take the mixture out and add to a microwaveable plate, cover with cling film and zap in the microwave for 10 secs, three to 4 times
- Remove and scrape onto a board to cool
- Once cool add food colouring and knead adding extra icing sugar if sticky
- Divide and roll into balls and then into egg shapes
- Decorate with royal icing and leave to dry