Marzipan holds a special place in my heart. I grew up with this delight that was pressed into rubber molds, air dried and served to us every Christmas. Because of it’s popularity, it’s also made into egg shapes at Easter time and decorated with royal icing. Wouldn’t it be cool for you to personalize your own Easter egg?
- Ingredients(makes 4 as shown in photo)
- 100 gms(3.5 oz) broken cashews OR almond powder/bits
- 200 gms (7 oz) icing sugar
- 1 egg white
- 2 drops almond essence
- Pulse the cashew nuts
- Add a bit of icing sugar and pulse again. The icing sugar will absorb the oil and make the cashews grind finer
- Add everything to your mixing bowl and add one egg white in drips till incorporated
- Add a few drops of almond essence.
- Take the mixture out and add to a microwaveable plate, cover with cling film and zap in the microwave for 10 secs, three to 4 times
- Remove and scrape onto a board to cool
- Once cool add food colouring and knead adding extra icing sugar if sticky
- Divide and roll into balls and then into egg shapes
- Decorate with royal icing and leave to dry