A great Thai Green curry recipe starts with fresh and fragrant ingredients. Store bought curry paste can’t hold a candle to the taste of a fresh green curry paste. Hi everyone, I m going to show you how easy it is to prepare your own Green Curry paste. Traditionally Thai ingredients are pounded in a mortar and pestle, but I really don’t have the time nor a pestle big enough, nor the patience to be honest so everything gets thrown into a food processor.
In this recipe whole spices like white pepper, cumin and coriander are lightly roasted and combined with aromatics like Galangal(from the Ginger family), Lemongrass, Chillies, Garlic and Shallots. I also cram in Coriander stems that are so unique, with Kaffir lime peel, some shrimp paste, fish sauce and salt. I like my Thai Green Curry paste to take on a beautiful natural green colour so I add in some Coriander and Basil leaves as well. Once ground, this is the most aromatic paste you have ever experienced. The freshness of the ingredients really stand out. This must be bottled and refrigerated and is good for a few days or can be frozen for use later.
- 1 tsp each White Pepper, Cumin seeds, Coriander seeds – roasted and ground
- 2 Shallots sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic roughly chopped
- 20 smal Thai green chillies
- 1 thumb size piece of Galangal – 2 tbsps
- 1 stick of lemongrass – 4 tbsps
- Peel of a Kafir lime – 1 tbsp
- Coriander root – 6 tbsps
- 1 tsp Shrimp paste
- 3 tbsps Fish sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh Coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup Basil leaves
- Grind everything except the leaves to a fine paste, adding water only if required
- Add the Coriander and Basil leaves and continue to grind to a fine paste