When you make your own batch of Thai Red Curry paste the flavor and aroma is unmatched to any store bought product on the market. Make a batch and freeze it so you have it on hand to flavor a soup, curry or stir fry. The use of a mortar and pestle is traditional however I’m using my food processor to save time.
The ingredients used in this paste can be found at Asian Grocery stores – Fish sauce, Lemon grass, Galangal, Lime leaves, Garlic, Coriander root & peppercorns. This is made extra special with some crab, shrimp or fish paste.
Thai food contains a lot of seafood ingredients and its used even in Chicken and Beef recipes. To make a Vegetarian version replace the fish sauce with Soya sauce and the Shrimp paste with chilli bean paste and enjoy!
Use this to make delicious recipes using Thai Red Curry paste
Thai Red Curry Paste
- 20 dried red chillies soaked overnight in water
- 3 tsps of fish sauce
- 1/4 cup garlic roughly chopped
- 1 tsp fish shrimp or crab paste
- 3 shallots
- 1 tsp white peppercorns
- 2 tbsps corriander roots chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon grass stalks cleaned and chopped
- 2 tbsps shredded Lime leaves
- 1/4 cup Galangal finely chopped
- 1 tsp Salt
- Soak the chillies in water overnight
- In a food processor start with the liquid ingredients – fish sauce and lime juice and add the rest of the ingredients
- Process adding some chilli water to grind it smooth