A simple Kefta or Kafta ground mixture is prepared and stuffed into vine ripe tomatoes over a dollop of rice for a simple meal or side. You can use smaller Tomatoes like I did and serve them with other dishes, or use a much larger tomato if planning to serve as a main. Be sure to adjust the cook time.
As you may know, I grew up in the middle east, I was born in Abu Dhabi and spent 8 years there before I went off to boarding school in India. Abu Dhabi and Dubai was my base till I got married in 1996 and immigrated to Canada. The aromas and tastes of middle eastern food is very familiar to me.
In this recipe, the meat mixture is very simple and very simply stuffed into a gorgeous vine ripe Tomato. I added some rice at the bottom of the Tomato, you can omit this to make this starch and carb free. I like the rice as it absorbs all the juices from the meatball as it cooks down and prevents the Tomato from getting too soggy.
If you like this recipe, check out my Kefta Bake.
If you’re vegetarian or want to incorporate more plant based meals in your diet, you will love both my Falafel recipe and my deconstructed Falafel Salad. Both use the exact same recipe to a point and they are both super delicious!
Kefta Stuffed Tomatoes
- 1 cup Parsley leaves
- 1 cup white Onion
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 2 lbs ground lean Beef
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Aleppo Peppers or Arabic Chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tbsp Pepper
- Salt to taste
- 6 – 12 Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp cooked Rice per Tomato optional
- Pinenuts 2- 3 per meatball
- Pomegranate molasses – drizzle
- Aleppo Pepper or Arabic Chilli powder – sprinkle
- Parsley & Mint for garnish
- In a food process pulse the parsley and remove
- Add the onion and garlic and pulse
- Add the meat, all the spices and salt and the parsley and process
- Hollow out the tomatoes and add to an oven proof dish
- Add some rice at the bottom of each tomato (optional)
- Form a meatball and stuff the tomato
- Add some pine nuts, pomegranate molasses and a sprinkle of aleppo pepper
- Bake for 45 mins in a 350 degree oven