Part of Kin Community’s Cookie Collaboration, my Pistachio & Blackcurrant Thumbprint cookies are just perfect for the holidays. The Pistachio is the perfect marriage with the rich jammy Blackcurrant center. This cookie is great year round, but the vibrant colors lend beautifully to the holidays.
I’m not even sure how I got started making this recipe, I just know that I’ve always loved jammy thumbprint cookies and instead of paying a dollar each time at the local bakery near my work, I decided to make them myself. When I competed on Come Dine With Me Canada in 2011, I made these cookies as little parting gifts for my friends, if you watch that episode, I refer to it as my ‘favorite cookie’ and years later it still is. It wasn’t after my stint on CDWMC, that I realized I had a blackcurrant bush in my backyard. I’d had it for two years and just referred to the fruit as inedible berries. When Graham, a contestant on the show gave us some of his homemade jam, I had to try the same with my berries.
In the summer of 2011, I tried making jam for the first time with my mother and I’ve been doing this ever since. I think any fruity jam will work well in this recipe, but I have a soft corner for Blackcurrant.
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup of jam
- 1 cup chopped pistachios
- Cream the butter and the sugar together and add the yolks one at a time
- Add the vanilla and the flour and baking soda
- Using an ice cream scoop, drop the balls of dough on a glass plate and refrigerate for 30 mins
- Flatten each one by hand and roll the outside in the chopped nuts
- Lay them back on the cookie sheet and use your thumb to make an imprint in the center of each one
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 5 - 7 mins
- Remove and cool on a cooling rack
- Heat the jam and using a very small spoon, add a dollop in each cookie depression
- They are good to serve as is, but if you leave them out for 24 hours, the jam dries up a bit, making it easy to pack and store