This is one of my all time favourite recipes. I developed this when I competed on the hit TV show, Come Dine With Me Canada. Since then I had lost the recipe due to a hard drive crash. Luckily for me one of my friends had saved the print out all these years and I was able to salvage this amazing recipe. You can prepare your own pizza dough or buy it ready prepared, but I have to tell you making a batch of dough is easy and so worth the effort. The topping is a chicken or turkey mixture and the whole pizza is cooked in an oven to middle eastern flavoured perfection!
Makes 4 medium pizzas and about 60 mini pizzas
Arabic Pizza – With Chicken & Herbs
- Pizza Dough
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 7 tsps instant dried yeast
- Pinch of sugar
- Warm water
- Splash of Olive Oil
- Additional flour for dusting and rolling
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey meat
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 red onion chopped fine
- 1/2 red tomato deseeded chopped fine
- 1/2 cup chopped mint
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 tbsps pomegranate molasses
- In a bowl add the yeast and sugar and top with a half cup of warm water. Leave till frothy
- In a stand mixer add the flours and salt and mix.
- Add the yeast mixture and enough water in slow additions to make a soft and supple dough.
- Oil a bowl, add the dough ball, rotate to coat with oil and then cover with cling film.
- The dough can take anywhere from a few hours to overnight to double in size when stored in a warm, dark oven.
- Mix all of the topping ingredients well together.
- It's a good practice to fry a small sample of the topping to check for salt and seasonings.
- When the dough is doubled in size, remove and lightly knead using extra flour
- Dust with flour and roll out into a single pizza round or cut out little mini pizzas with a cookie cutter as per your preference.
- Add a teaspoon of the topping to each pizza base and smear over the surface.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 – 15 mins till cooked.
- If using multiple sheets, rotate them to ensure all pizzas get cooked evenly.
- Garnish with more fresh herbs.