Meat is tenderized using lime juice and salt, it’s then sautéed with caramelized onions and whole spices. Spices are added to the meat, before transferring to an Instant pot with water and it’s cooked before transferring back to the kadai or wok to dry up and slow cook. Salt, Yogurt & Garam Masala is added and this dish once dry is finished off with chopped coriander!
This recipe takes a bit of patience as it goes from kadai to pressure cooker back to kadai, but this process is necessary to get this great depth of flavour and meat that is crispy on the outside, yet so tender inside. You can use Mutton or Lamb for this recipe.
The recipe for my homemade Garam Masala is here.
- 1 kg or 2.2 lbs bone in Mutton or Lamb
- 1/2 Lime
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups sliced Onions
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 2 Black Cardamoms
- 2 Star Anise
- 5 green Cardamoms
- 5 Cloves
- 10 Peppercorns
- 3 tbsps crushed Ginger & Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 2 tsps red Chilli powder
- 400 ml Water
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsps Yogurt and
- 2 tbsps Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp Ghee..
- 1/2 cup chopped Coriander
- Marinate the meat with the lime juice and salt
- Heat some oil and fry the onions and add all the whole spices
- Cook till the onions caramelize
- Add more oil if needed and add all the meat
- Add the ginger and garlic and mix well
- Add the turmeric and chilli powder and mix well again
- Cook till the meat has a bit of a sear
- Add the water, close the instant pot, but the valve on sealing mode and set the pot to pressure cook for 15 mins
- After the pressure valve drops, add all the meat and liquid back to the kadai and cook for 10 – 15 mins till the gravy dries up
- Add salt to taste, yogurt and garam masala
- When the gravy is dry, add the ghee and the chopped coriander