Many many years ago, a coworker and a close friend Laurel McGregor, bought me a Donna Hay magazine. At that time, I didn’t even know who she was but was fascinated by the magazine and the recipes in it. I decided to try my hand at Blueberry pancakes that promised to be light and fluffy.
Donna Hay, does not lie, these pancakes are amazing. Over the years, I’ve made this many many times – blueberry, chocolate, regular and they are greeted with delight every single time. The strangest place I made these pancakes were at a campsite with minimum facilities and cooked these for a large crowd on a camp stove with two tiny pans. The best part of these pancakes are that they use egg whites only. Many of my subscribers have asked if they can substitute whole eggs, the answer is NO! The whisked egg whites are what gives these pancakes their light and fluffy texture. Besides, egg whites are healthier for you 🙂 Try this and I promise you won’t be making box mix pancakes again!
- 3 egg whites
- 2.5 cups sifted flour
- 3 cups butter milk
- 3 tsps sugar
- 3 tsps baking powder
- Splash of vanilla essence
- Beat the eggs still stiff and keep aside
- In the stand mixer, alternate between the flour and buttermilk and keep scraping the bowl
- Add the sugar and the baking powder
- Add the vanilla essence
- Fold the egg mixture into the batter
- Drop into a hot pan with oil, cook for a few minutes and flip
- To make chocolate pancakes, simply add chocolate chips